Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Drawing Conclusions

It was nearing the income tax deadline, April 15, and my daughter, a Certified Public Accountant, was working many hours a day. She said, “I want you to come in during spring break, but be aware you will see very little of me because of my work.”

“We’re coming.” As a teacher I needed the break. So my young twelve year old son invited his cousin of the same age to join us as we traveled to Dallas to visit his older sister. Just as she told us my daughter left to go to work while it was still dark and returned late at night. Meanwhile, my son, his cousin and I explored all we could in the big city.

With the tax deadline behind her, my daughter came to visit us a few weeks later. She drove her little brother, his cousin who had traveled with him, and another friend of the same age to the movies. The new friend said to my young daughter, “Wow, you have your own car. What do you do for a living?”

She answered, “Well, why don’t you guess?”

Her young cousin gave hints. “She leaves early in the morning, and comes back late at night.”

“I know,” the little friend excitedly yelled, “you work at Seven-Eleven.”

Moral of the story: Don’t draw conclusions until you have all the facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment